Saturday, August 30, 2008

September: National Pain Awareness Month

September is National Pain Awareness Month in the United States.

I would have given this designation little thought before being diagnosed with high-end-pain illnesses five years ago. I have not one, but two, disorders/diseases/illnesses - with all of each one's accoutrements. I also have osteoarthritis in varying degrees through my spine, both hips, both knees, and possibly - one shoulder.

The National Fibromyalgia Association has done a great job of getting the word out that Fibromyalgia is not only real, but affects millions of the world's citizens.

The makers of Lyrica have done more to turn the tide regarding how this disease is perceived than any other promotion in my recollection.

Having said that, I must also say that Fibromyalgia affects short-term memory. It affects thought processes. However, the television commercials have run often enough that I can safely say I haven't been hit with "isn't that the one they said was all in your head", nearly as often. It still happens from time to time, but not every other time the subject is brought up.

I must also say that Lyrica has helped me to cope with my symptoms. You see, we who have Fibro tend to live with constant pain. The severity fluctuates, but never goes away completely. I pray every day that a new study doesn't find that Lyrica is detrimental in another way, as the Cox-II medications were found to be.

If you read this, please take a cruise on over to www.fmaware.org and read about the disease. That way, you'll already be armed when someone you know is diagnosed. It will happen.

And please remember to say a prayer or two during September (and throughout the year) for those of us who may not appear to be the happiest persons you've ever met. Happiness may be a state of mind deal that can be altered by a positive outlook, but it's a whole lot easier to be "sunny" when you don't hurt.

I'm daring myself to post here every day during September and to use this forum to keep a running journal. If you choose to follow this to see if I can do it and I screw up and forget to post ... email me to let me know I'm not holding up my end of the bargain.

No comments: