Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Yesterday's Oil Paint Fiasco

For the most part, I'm sleeping better now that I can wear a "soft" collar at night. It's so much more comfortable, but.. There's always a "but" to things like this.

The soft collar doesn't hold my neck in a rigid position, so I've been waking with muscle cramps on both sides of my neck and muscle cramps and burning in a "V" shape from the base of my skull, across both shoulders, and down the middle of my back. I'm not sure exactly what is causing this most unpleasant adverse reaction.

Now that my fingers are mostly working again, I've been dabbling with oil paints. There's a small local festival held in August of each year, and I'd love to set up a booth with some of my paintings, in the hopes of selling a few.

That seems like a great idea, but my fingers are only m-o-s-t-l-y working. Yesterday I managed to get bright red oil paint all over my clothes. My favorite neon green sweatshirt now has red blotches all over the front and up both sleeves, as does my favorite T-shirt.

Perhaps it was just because I didn't feel well yesterday. I'm hoping that was the cause. So far, the painting is looking okay, so my fumble-fingers didn't ruin it. Probably because I've begun working with the palette knife again, rather than using brushes.

We'll see how that goes today. I'm not quite as achy, but I will be taking a muscle relaxer before sitting down in front of my easel. Yesterday's painting fiasco was done in spurts of 15 minutes here and another 15 minutes there because I could not sit for very long. I couldn't stand for very long either.

No comments: