Saturday, September 13, 2008

My Chair and Me

I managed to not take a nap today. Probably because hubby pushed me in my wheelchair at the Country Living Fair. That's just one of the many venues and happenings that I'd be unable to attend if I didn't have that chair. Because he so graciously took me to whatever booth held interesting treasures, I had enough energy to work alongside him weeding in the flower garden, when we got home.

I was even able to walk for a short distance while we shared a chocolate covered cheesecake on a stick. That's a favorite dessert for us, but it wouldn't have tasted quite as good if we hadn't been sharing.

It was my near undoing after the Art Walk in the Short North area of Columbus, OH, three years ago that caused us to buy the chair. Michael and I had looked forward to making the rounds of all the neat little trinket shops and artsy-fartsy, as well as, fine art stores that make up the area for a couple of months. We'd walked one and a half blocks when my right hip locked up. Our evening was ruined because I couldn't walk another step, and I was plunged into the depths of despair and despondency.

A short time later, we bought a used chair from a home medical store for $150. From then on, it has either been in the trunk of my car, or transferred to whatever vehicle I'd be riding in, for use as needed.

I don't use it, or need it, all the time. Most of the time, I push it rather than sit in it while being pushed. Until recently when my right shoulder and arm started into their run down the pain road to hell, I could maneuver myself just about anyplace I wanted to go.

Last week, I drove to the grocery store three times before a motorized cart was available. The first two times, there was no choice but to go back home. It was disheartening because I knew there would be no way I could maneuver my chair around the store while pulling a shopping cart behind me.

It's frustrating at times. Sometimes, like last week, I go home and cry. For someone who has always been so independent, this is unbearable. The only thing that keeps me going at times like this is that I know there are others so much worse off than I.

When you're fighting a disease that causes chronic fatigue, like Fibromyalgia, and also have an auto-immune disease, like osteoarthritis, it's best to celebrate the little victories.

Today, I felt victorious.

No comments: