Monday, September 22, 2008

Yada yada yada

I didn't blog here this weekend because I couldn't get in. That 404 Error Not Found message just caused more stress than I thought I could handle. I also didn't Twitter for much the same reason, although Twitter doesn't 404 at will.

Went over to the neighbor's yesterday with my John Deere riding mower and trailer and brought back another 4 5-gallon buckets of pears. Even after several others have been there to harvest what is on the ground from the storm, there must be 40 bushels of apples and another 40 bushels of pears right there for the taking. It's sad to watch it go to waste, although the other neighbor's church members are supposed to be here today to get apples for their applesauce festival. The pears I harvested are laid out on a piece of plywood to ripen.

I also managed to harvest the chives that were in the front flower bed and they are now in the dehydrator. Note to self: post drawings and instructions for building this dehydrator that works so well.

Took a 2 hour nap because everything that didn't hurt wasn't working.

Hubby planted most of the plants we got from another Freecycler, but he was so tired from the extended double-shift workweek that his knee gave out before he could get it all planted. My husband is a wonderful man who has just enough aches and pains (with an artificial knee from '68) to understand my inability to work through the pain only too often. He did, however, re-lay the black plastic in the back flower bed that Ike tore up last Sunday.

Still don't know if my grandpa's cousins will be here this week. Even though I've retired from working a corporate job, I still work from home - and more hours than an employee would - I still fail to understand why retired folks think everyone should just drop what they're doing to do something else because TA-DA WE'RE HEEEERRRRE. I love my relatives, but ...

Ann Landers often wrote of her feelings about drop-in company and I feel the same way. Many years ago I got so fed up with drop-ins that I posted a "QUARANTINED!" sign in the front year. My former husband made me take it down saying the neighbors would have me committed. Oh well, it worked for awhile.

We're slowly accumulating glass for our to-be-extended porch/outdoor room and greenhouse via Freecycle. Freecycle is such a wonderful organization! It keeps millions of tons of reusable goods out of the landfills and helps save money for the recipients, all while helping others get rid of what they no longer need.

I have a pot of black beans and de-fatted ham hocks in the slow cooker. We don't really like them, but eat them because they are so good for us. It's all about fiber at our ages.

My friend, funny-man Horace J. Digby, is on vacation in Italy. He's been sending very short snippets via email. Actually, he's sent two. In the first, he and his wife Sharon were in Genoa. The second let me know that as they were re-boarding their water taxi in Portofino - which just happened to be moored next to the Dolce and Gabbana yacht - Mark Anthony and his lovely wife Jennifer Lopez were debarking the yacht.

My response? "I surely hope you aren't running around Italy dressed in black socks with sandals, plaid shorts, and a fanny pack if you're going to 'run into' such notables." Haven't gotten a response to that. Will keep you abreast of happenings there. Should also mention that Horace and I have been friends since I was 5 and he was six. He was an 'older man' then - and I tell him often that he still IS.

Okay, need to get back to real work. Will be updating Linda's Gifts and Decor today with new sale items. You can also keep up with that at my website.

Which means that I'll also be updating my website, which is never-ending.

My friend and pen pal Teddy, in Poland, has only received a few autographed books. He's desperately trying to build a library there and needs help. If you have any books you no longer need, please send them to him. If you're an author, please autograph a few books and send them to him. His address is on the "In the Showcase" page of my website.

I've opened a Cafe for Non-Fiction Writers at Savor the Success. We now have about 9 members who are working hard to make their writing careers soar. We don't inundate one another with emails either. Guess it's the "like-minded" thing at work.

Okay, back to business. I'll keep going today until going nose-down. It's the resolve that keeps us all going.

No comments: