Wednesday, December 10, 2008

First post, post-surgery

Monday, 8th, had surgery. Immediately after time in the recovery room, my hands stopped hurting. So did my wrists. HOWEVER, I had the worst muscle spasms marching from my left elbow, across my shoulders, and down to my right elbow, I could ever have imagined. Should also note that hospital had cut back staff - nearly all aides were gone. Nursing staff was bombarded.

What was planned as a 4 hour surgery turned into 6 hours because of the amount of arthritis in my spine. It took them 2 additional hours to scrape away all the bone spurs that hadn't shown up in the films.

Dr. Mallik rocks! Not only is he easy on the eyes, but he is very personable. When one has a conversation with him, it is clear that we have his undivided attention. He's also very young to be running the neurology department, but he is. He also teaches. And has a thriving practice. Amazing man.

Ms. Audrey Shaffer called me on Sunday so we could talk before surgery. She said she had to talk to me rather than send an email. I'm thankful she is my friend.

Ms. Renee' Barnes called twice post surgery. The first time, I wasn't all that coherent, so she called again yesterday as hubby was driving me home. So nice to have friends who call to tell you they love you.

Daughter called to tell me her brother had done a superb job of keeping family updated. She was so proud of him for doing that.

Poor son had to help me to the toilet and also in removing some items of clothing. It made him very uncomfortable, but he did it because he was helping mama. He talked to the doctors and nurses and had my Michael on speed dial.

Had to spend the night in the hospital because of the extra surgical procedures. I was definitely ready to come home yesterday!

I'm a bit light-headed from the pain and meds. The meds aren't helping much. On a scale of 1 to 10, with 10 being the worst, my pain level this morning is an 8. It's the spasms in my shoulders that hurt the most. Vicadin, Flexerill, and Valium just aren't getting it done.

I'm sitting in the recliner in our guest room. We don't have a TV in our bedroom, so I've set up shop in here. Slept, actually attempted to sleep, in the recliner until about 3 this morning. Tried to get up to go to the bathroom, but our bull mastiff had spread out in the walkpath and nearly dumped me on my arse. Michael heard the commotion and came running to my aid. She's a sweet dog and just wants to be near me, but I can't see well enough with this neck brace on, to step over her.

I doubt Michael has slept much. I doubt son has slept much. I know I haven't slept much.

Pneumonia is the big issue here, also the scare of staph infection. Either of those could prove fatal.

Anyway, I'm going to kick back and rest. Don't have much choice. Sure do hope these pain pills kick in sometime soon.

Dr. Mallik thinks Fibro kicked in with the trauma of surgery. I believe him. Fibro is worse than the surgery pain right now.

Thank you to my friends around the world who have prayed for me. I've heard from Hindis, Muslims, Buddhists, and Christians alike. Thank you. Prayer is so very powerful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so go glad to see you're coherent and feeling well enough to blog.